Welcome to Island Eats, the place where you can find yummy recipes every Sunday. This week we have gorgeous Greek Chicken. Full of lovely fresh veg and herbs, this couscous salad is delicious served with Greek-style chicken. Opting for super-lean chicken breasts is the key to keeping this recipe nice and healthy – it’s a great source of protein. Teamed with a lovely salad of carrot ribbons, this is a colourful, tasty midweek dinner. And, if you’ve not made your own tzatziki before, give this a try and I guarantee you’ll be making it time and again.
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
1 Red Pepper
6 Spring Onions
20g Black Olives
100g Ripe Cherry Tomatoes
2 Free-range Chicken Breasts
1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
100g Fat Free Natural Yoghurt
15g Fresh Mint
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fill a small pan with water, place over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the pepper. Trim and finely slice the spring onions. Bash the olives and tear out the stones, then roughly chop. Half the cherry tomatoes, then place it all into a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the couscous into a bowl, cover with 250ml of boiling water, cover with a plate and set aside.
- While the couscous is steaming, grate the cucumber into a small bowl, add a pinch of sea salt and leave for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken on a plate. Drizzle over 1 teaspoon of olive oil, the oregano and a pinch of black pepper. Finely grate over the lemon zest, then turn the chicken over to coat.
- Using clean hands, gently squeeze the moisture from the grated cucumber into the sink, then return to the bowl. Stir in the yoghurt, a good squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of black pepper. Pick and finely chop the mint leaves, then stir half into the yoghurt mixture.
- Peel the carrot and then shave it into long ribbons. Place into a small bowl, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and another good squeeze of lemon juice.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork, then stir through the chopped vegetables with the remaining chopped mint. Add 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and the juice of half a lemon. Stir well and season to taste with black pepper.
- Place the chicken into the hot pan and fry for 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Turn from time to time and then slice into rough slices.
- Divide the couscous between plates, top with the carrot salad and chicken, then serve with tzatziki.
Recipe by Jamie Oliver